Health Care

Charlie Gard's parents prepare for fresh legal battle

Charlie Gard's parents prepare for fresh legal battle

London's Great Ormond Street Hospital, where 11-month-old Charlie Gard is being treated, asked a court to rule on how to proceed last week after US President Donald Trump and Pope Francis intervened. They say life-support treatment should stop.

He added that Great Ormond Street doctors had agreed to keep providing life-support treatment pending the outcome of the latest stage of litigation.

Judge Francis was this afternoon hearing evidence from an American doctor, referred to as a "world authority", who is proposing experimental treatment to Charlie's condition, a mitochondrial disease which causes progressive muscle weakness and brain damage.

Today the High Court will give the parents a final chance to prove why their son should not have his life-support withdrawn.

As the court continues, here is the latest reaction and fallout from the High Court case at the Royal Courts of Justice.

Gard and Yates have already taken their battle to all of Britain's major courts, as well as the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg - all of these battles were lost.

Family spokesman Alasdair Seton Marsden accused the health service of holding Charlie hostage
SKY NEWSFamily spokesman Alasdair Seton Marsden accused the health service of holding Charlie hostage

Judge Nicholas Francis, who ruled in favour of doctors in April, says he will consider any new evidence Thursday.

The baby's father, Chris Gard, accused the hospital of lying at a preliminary hearing on Monday, shouting at the barrister representing the facility: "When are you going to start telling the truth?"

He told the couple that he had already analysed the case at a trial and would not rake over old facts.

Charlie's plight has touched people around the world and the family have received donations totalling more than £1.3 million to take him to the USA for therapy.

At 10:30a.m. Thursday in London (5:30a.m.in New York) the Royal Court of Justice will consider new evidence in the Charlie Gard case determining whether he will be permitted to receive an experimental treatment being offered by US physicians.

Liverpool table £25m offer for Atletico Madrid striker Angel Correa
Liverpool have signed England Under-20 global Dominic Solanke in a free transfer from Premier League champions Chelsea. Correa joined Atletico from San Lorenzo in 2014.